Laws enacted in 2006 for Texas camps make specific sexual abuse prevention training mandatory for every adult 18 years and older who has an opportunity to interact with campers (children younger than 18 who are staying at a youth camp for at least three consecutive nights). This includes staff members, volunteers, group leaders, counselors, etc. Parents or relatives at camp for a short time to visit their child are exempt. The training is valid for two years at Texas camps. Background checks are also mandatory for each adult, but these have been common practice for many years. Background checks are valid for one year.
We appreciate your help as we share the responsibility and joy of providing kids with a safe, nurturing environment at camp.
Brookhaven no longer facilitates an online training option, although churches and other groups may directly use the online training program offered by www.safecamps.net or other similar services. You'll need to contact SafeCamps to set up an account if you choose this route. Brookhaven recommends using the simple classroom training described below, and obtaining background checks from a separate source. One of the best and most affordable sources for Texas background checks can be found at the Texas Dept of Public Safety website at https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DPS_WEB/Portal/index.aspx. You'll need to setup an account and purchase credits to do background checks. At present, it will cost about $3 per background check.
Brookhaven's training program uses a text manuscript, a leader's presentation, a participant's worksheet that would closely resemble the exam, and a certificate to indicate completion of the course. This program is approved by the State of Texas, approval number YC06–0003. All the needed documents may be downloaded from this page at no cost to you.
Steps to lead the Child Abuse Prevention Course:
- Schedule and promote the training session for your leaders. Allow 1.5 hours for the session. The training should take approximately one hour and 15 to 20 minutes to take the exam.
- Download (turn off any pop-up blockers and right-click (PC) or Ctrl+click for Mac) each of these documents (5 PDFs and one PowerPoint presentation) and make enough copies of each: Leaders Instructions; Curriculum Text; PowerPoint Presentation; Participant's Worksheet; Exam; Certificate of Completion
- Study each of the curriculum pieces in order to lead the training session.
- Here are some suggestions for use for each piece of the curriculum:
- Curriculum Text: The training facilitator will probably want to use this, rather than provide it for participants. It will have some information for the facilitator to add during the presentation.
- PowerPoint Presentation: This follows the outline of the text and addresses the points that are on the Participant's Worksheet, which closely resembles the exam.
- Participant's Worksheet: Be sure that every person has a copy of this worksheet. It will reinforce the main points of the course and help prepare them for the exam. The participants will also need pens or pencils since it contains fill in the blank, true and false and multiple choice questions.
- Exam: There are 25 questions on the exam. The participants will need to score at least 70% (18 of 25) of the questions correctly. After taking the exams, take them up and grade them. If anyone does not pass on the first attempt, have them retake the exam at another time.
- Exam Key: If you're the group's leader click here to gain access to the exam key.
5. Make sure you work from a master list to ensure that all camp leaders take the training and pass the exam before they arrive at camp.
6. Give the Certificates of Completion to the Brookhaven office before or upon arrival.
7. Obtain and give a copy of a criminal background check for each person to the Brookhaven office before or upon arrival.
Brookhaven staff is available to answer any of your questions and to help in any way we can. Be sure to get us your background check documents and the certificates for each participant before you come, if possible, but certainly before your leaders have interaction with the kids on camp property.
Blessings to you,
The Staff of Brookhaven Christian Retreat
Quick Links to Program Documents
Get the Exam Key
Certificate of Completion